If you’re looking for new and original ways to say ‘good morning’ so you’re not always repeating yourself, look no further. There are so many different ways to greet someone in the am that it would be a shame to always use the same words.
The thing about morning greetings is that they usually don’t have to be morning-specific. Yes, ‘good morning’ is definitely morning-specific because it has the word ‘morning’ in it, but it’s actually okay for you to use any old greeting, to be completely honest with you.
In the expressions below, you’ll notice that some are morning-specific, but most could also be used if you were to greet someone at any time of the day.
Let’s begin with some more formal ways to greet someone in the morning:
1. Good morning, sir/madam
This one is for your boss or other superior at your organization or otherwise.
2. Good morning to you
If you’re uncomfortable with titles, you can always choose to drop the sir/madam and use this expression instead. It carries the same sentiment.
Yep, nice and simple. Straight to the point, it can be used at any time of the day or in any setting. It works.
4. Good day
Feel free to add in the ‘sir’ or ‘madam’ at the end of this one too.
Or any other regular greeting, like ‘hi.’
6. Happy Monday to you all
Or whatever day of the week it is.
7. How do you do?
This is a very formal way of greeting someone. And yes, this is a question, and it looks like you’re asking the person how they are. But it’s actually a greeting in its own right, and your interlocutor would know they are not expected to respond.
Looking for less formal ways to greet someone in the early hours? The following expressions are great for more casual settings.
Nice and simple, drop the ‘good’ and just say ‘morning.’
9. Rise and shine
Use this to wake someone up. It also doubles up as a way to greet someone you’ve just woken up.
This is a friendly greeting you can use at any time of the day.
11. Breakfast is ready!
Let’s face it: who doesn’t want to wake up to these words in the morning? Best greeting ever.
12. Wakey wakey
Another way to wake someone up and greet them simultaneously.
13. Top of the morning to you
Originally an Irish expression, it’s now used by English speakers all over to greet someone in the morning.
14. Good morning, sunshine
Ths is a popular cute way of greeting someone dear to your heart.
This has an Australian ring to it, but is also popularly used in other English speaking conutries, within a casual context.
16. Morning, my love
Save this one for a romantic partner as a way to greet them first thing in the morning.
17. Hey gorgeous!
This is a great greeting for a loved one - whether a romantic partner or a friend.
Sometimes, you might not need to actually greet the person; you can just go straight into a little small talk, and that's just as good as a greeting. You can do this by wishing someone a nice day or asking them how they are.
18. Wishing you the best for the day ahead.
19. Time to start a new day.
20. You're going to kill it today!
21. Have the best day.
22. The early bird gets the worm.
23. Morning, buddy.
24. Hey! Long time no see.
25. How are you this fine morning?
26. What a lovely morning it is, wouldn't you agree?
27. How is your morning going so far?
28. Isn’t it a beautiful day today?
29. Look at what the cat dragged in!
30. Are you ready to take on the world?
31. I hope you have a day filled with joy.
32. How did you sleep?
33. I hope you slept well.
34. Time to open your eyes.
35. Rise and shine! Shine and rise! Let Mr. Sunshine in your eyes!
36. Wake up, my love!
37. Morning! How’s it going?
38. What's cooking good looking?
39. Good day to ya.
40. Morning to my most fabulous friend!
41. Wake up, sleepy head
42. Hello there
43. Welcome to another beautiful day!
44. Morning gorgeous.
45. Good morning love bug, have an amazing day.
46. I hope your day rocks as much as you do.
47. Howdy partner.
48. Good morning starshine
49. Best part of my morning is seeing you.
50. Hey, cutie.
51. What a treat, waking up next to you.
52. Hey! What's good?
53. I don't need coffee when I wake up with you.
54. You're going to do great things today.
55. It's a beautiful day to save lives.
56. I hope you have a great morning.
57. What are you grateful for this morning?
58. What are you excited for today?
59. Hi there.
60. What's up?
61. Out of bed, sleepy head.
62. Hey there, how's it going?
63. How's it hanging?
64. Good day mate, how's things?
65. How's tricks on this beautful morning?
66. Hola gorgeous
67. It's time to wake up, sleepy head.
68. Let's get this day started!
69. Are you ready to light this day on fire?
70. I'm feeling amazing this morning, how about you?
71. It's time to get moving.
72. No more snoozing!
73. Good morning good looking.
74. Hey hey.
75. Bonjour beautiful.
76. Look alive!
77. Wakey wakey eggs and bakey
78. It's good to see you so bright and early
79. Rise and grind.
80. Time to seize the day!
81. What's the day ahead looking like for you?
Okay, so now you have all these different ways of saying 'good morning,' let's take a look at some interactions that involve using them.
Good morning sir, how are you today?
I'm doing pretty well thanks Kevin.
Rise and shine, sweetheart, it's time to take on the world!
Can I just have five more minutes in bed?
Happy Monday to all of you, and thanks for attending the meeting.
(All:) Good morning.
Hey Doug, how you doing?
Now you have 81 new ways of greeting someone in the morning, so go ahead and give them a try! And don’t hesitate to get creative as well. You can mix them up and create new ones.
If you liked this article, you might enjoy the others on our blog. Check them out!
Add new comment