Are you confused by whether the correct plural of data is 'data' or 'datas?' You won't be soon. This guide contains definitions, pronunciations, and usage tips to help you learn and remember the correct spelling.
Do you need a quick answer?
If so, here it is:
- Data is the correct plural form of data.
- Data is the plural noun form of the word datum
Because data is already the plural noun form of datum, you do not need to add an 's' when referring to two or more pieces of data. Take a deeper dive with me in this lesson to learn more.
'Data' or 'Datas': Which is the Correct Spelling?
Only one of these is the proper spelling of an English word. The plural form of 'data' is always 'data.' 'Datas' is a misspelling. You do not add an 's' to the end of data to indicate that you are speaking about more than one 'data' because the word is already a plural noun.
How to Use 'Data'
When you are speaking about a single piece of information, you:
- Use 'datum' as the singular noun form of 'data.'
For example, I would say something like:
The report was filled with valuable statistical data, but I was looking for a specific piece of datum.
When you are speaking about 'data' contained in a report or a spreadsheet, there is often more than one piece of information, so you:
For example, you might say:
Too much data on the page makes it hard to find the necessary information.
When to Use Data
You can use 'data' when speaking about a collection of information, details, or research. It is a word that is frequently used when talking about computers, apps, personal information, or logs with detailed information. However, 'data' does not have to be strictly electronic. You can record 'data' by any means.
- Use data as a reference to any set of information
For example, you could say:
Please use the pen and paper in front of you to record the data from your lab. You will need the recorded information to complete the homework tonight.
Definition of 'Data': What Does It Mean?
In the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, 'data' means:
It can also mean:
- A collection of information
- Electronic information
- Research findings
- Recorded information
- Statistical information
- Analyzed information
Similar Words and Synonyms
Phrases Containing 'Data'
- Data exchange
- Restrict data
- Data swap
- File data
- Analyze the data
- Look at the data
- Browser data
- Data summary
- Access data
- Password data
- Website data
- Macro data
- Personal data
- Business data
- Marketing data
- Statistical data
- Data dump
- Data storage
- Data security
- Numeric data
- Data sciences
- Factual data
- Historic data
- Scientific data
- Data Bank
- Report data
- Visual data
- Cellular data
- Data transfer
- Data archives
- Archival data
- Lost data
- Backup data
- Data backup
- Data log
- Data report
Pronunciation: How to Pronounce 'Data'
'Data' is one of the easier English words to pronounce.
Here is a guide:
You pronounce 'data' according to the phonetic spelling:
How to Use 'Data' in a Sentence
Now you know that 'data' is the plural form of the singular noun 'datum.' You also know how to use it grammatically and how to pronounce it. So, please look at these sentences to ensure you understand how to utilize them in sentences.
'Data' Example Sentences
- We reviewed the 'data' for weeks to extract every bit of helpful information.
- The data proved to be more beneficial than anyone thought.
- You have to protect your data while shopping online. Identity thieves look for vulnerable targets. Then, they use your data to steal your identity.
- Use a data encryption service to keep your information secure.
- Never give your social security number or other sensitive data to a stranger.
- The analyst could not believe the data. They thought we would be out of business within the first year. However, the data shows that we doubled our profits.
- You can call her with the necessary data or send it to her in an email. Just ensure you do not send sensitive information with an unsecured connection.
- Google tracks usage data, including your search history, user history, and the date and time of your searches.
- The data set is a collection of information from our top competitors.
- You can learn a lot about your target audience by looking at their search, income, and spending habit data.
- Do you want to record all of this data? It will take hours, and I am unsure how useful it will be.
- They will not release any of your data without prior authorization.
- Data shows your customers' favorite color is blue.
- Did you record the data from our project last week?
Final Advice on Whether 'Data' or 'Datas' is the Correct Plural Form of Data
Hopefully, you understand why 'data' is the correct plural form of 'data.'
However, here is a quick recap:
- 'Data' is the correct plural form of 'data'
- 'Data' is a plural noun form of 'datum,' which is a single piece of information
- 'Datas' is a spelling error
If you ever forget the correct plural form of 'data,' you can always come back to verify that you are using the correct spelling. You can also read through the other guides here to learn about other common confusing words and phrases.