Are you wondering the difference between 'pallette' vs. 'pallet' vs. 'palate?'
Here is the short answer:
- 'Pallette' is a noun for the part of a suit of armor at the armpits.
- 'Pallet' is a noun for a temporary bed, makeshift mattress, or wooden structure used to ship or move goods.
- 'Palate' is a noun for the portion of the mouth that separates it from the nasal cavity.
Read this guide with definitions, pronunciations, examples, and usage tips for a more detailed description.
What is the Difference Between 'Pallette' vs. 'Pallet' vs. 'Palate?'
'Pallette,' 'pallet,' and 'palate' are homophones. They sound the same, but they have different spellings and meanings.
The terms 'pallet' and 'palate' are commonly used.
'Pallette' is a much older term that people rarely use today. The term means a piece of armor in the armpit, and most grammar and spell checkers identify it as a misspelling. However, the term is included in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.
- On the other hand, 'pallet' is a term you may hear if you ship, store, or move products on them, and
- 'Palate' refers to the roof of your mouth or the area separating your mouth from your nasal cavity.
Another word worth mentioning is palette. Like the other three words, 'palette' is a noun that means a board that painters use to mix paint or a collection of colors.
When and How to Use 'Pallette' vs. 'Pallet' vs. 'Palate'
Now that you know the difference between these terms, take a closer look at when and how to use them.
- Use 'pallette' to describe the portion of an armored suit in the armpit.
For example, you could say:
The pallette is integral to an armored suit because you would have a weak spot in your armor without it.
- Use 'pallet' to describe a wooden platform used to move products for storage or shipping.
As an example, I might say:
I want to buy pallets of wholesale products, but I do not have anywhere to store them.
- Use 'palate' to refer to the roof of the mouth.
So, you could say:
That soup was so hot that it scalded my palate.
Definition of 'Pallette': What Does 'Pallette' Mean?
According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, 'pallette' is a noun that means:
- The part of an armored suit located at the armpit
Synonyms for 'Pallette'
Due to 'pallette' being a relatively outdated term, there are no synonyms.
Definition of 'Pallet': What Does 'Pallet' Mean?
The definition of 'pallet' is a noun that means:
It can also mean:
- A temporary and often uncomfortable bed
- A makeshift mattress made out of pillows and blankets
- A wooden platform used to stack, ship, and stores products
Synonyms for 'Pallet'
Definition of 'Palate': What Does 'Palate' Mean?
'Palate' is a noun that means:
It can also mean:
- The portion of the mouth that separates the oral cavity from the nasal cavity
- Intellectual taste or liking
- A sense of taste
Synonyms for 'Palate'
Pronunciation: How to Pronounce 'Pallette' vs. 'Pallet' vs. 'Palate'
Pronunciation is another important consideration when learning about the difference in terms.
So, here is a quick pronunciation guide for 'pallette' vs. 'pallet' vs. 'palate.'
- Use this phonetic spelling of 'pallette':
- Use this phonetic spelling of 'pallet':
- Use this phonetic spelling of 'palate':
As you can see, despite their variations in spelling and meanings, these terms have identical pronunciations.
Sample Sentences Using 'Pallette' vs. 'Pallet' vs. 'Palate'
You should have a firm grasp of the differences between these terms. However, reading the sample sentences below will help you cement the meaning of each word into your memory.
- You will have to have a new pallette made for your suit of armor.
- You cannot go to your local Walmart and pick up a new pallette.
- Finding a skilled professional to make a new pallette for your suit may take time.
- The details on every piece of the armor, including the pallettes, are incredible.
- His opponent could wedge the sword between his armor at the pallette.
- You can order pallets of wholesale items for a fraction of the retail price.
- Pallet sizes differ depending on what they hold. So, it can be challenging to determine the exact size of a pallet shipment without the specific dimensions.
- People often repurpose pallets to make decorations and pallet gardens.
- Are you sending someone to pick up the pallets of maize?
- Do you think we can secure that enormous machine to a pallet?
- I am trying to convince my business partner to let me add dishes that appeal to a more refined palate.
- The coffee is extremely hot. Be careful so you do not burn your palate.
- The fatty soup was strange because it coated my palate, but the taste was amazing.
- He had a simple palate. He preferred to eat dishes he knew rather than expand his horizons.
- Irregularly shaped palates can cause problems with breathing and swallowing.
- There are some research studies that show that folic acid may prevent cleft palate.
Final Thoughts on the Difference Between 'Pallette' vs. 'Pallet' vs. 'Palate'
Before you go, let's do a review of the difference between 'pallette' vs. 'pallet' vs. 'palate':
- 'Pallette' is a noun for the area of a suit of armor that covers the armpit.
- 'Pallet' is a noun for a platform used to ship, store, or transport goods and a makeshift mattress or bed.
- 'Palate' is a noun that refers to the area of your mouth that separates it from your nasal cavity.
These words, like many homophones, can be challenging to remember. Plus, these three terms share their pronunciation with a fourth word, palette, that has a different spelling and meaning.
So, if you get mixed up on these terms in the future, you can always return to this post to review this lesson. You can also verify the meanings of other commonly mistaken words in the confusing words section here.
Each lesson contains a quick and detailed explanation of the terms and definitions, pronunciations, examples, and grammar rules for using the words. So, they are an excellent way to expand your vocabulary and improve your verbal and written English.